The day after Thanksgiving, we starting demo on our master bathroom (please pretend I have safety goggles in the picture above).
Here is a before of the shower (problem) area:
And here is an after (demo) photo:
We were all pretty proud of ourselves for our demo work! As I mentioned before, we had a significant leak under our shower. So significant, we haven’t used our shower since we moved in three years ago. Here’s what the shower leak looked like once we removed the tile:
Near the wall, you can see the support beam is rotted. Here is a closeup:
Seeing this confirmed why were were remodeling that bathroom.
My amazing dad came and helped us with the demo. He spent his birthday ripping out tile and toilets.
The boys came in to inspect our work and kept safe with a nerf mask and handkerchief…
Overall, the demo went well. There were a few minor hangups like cutting a water line and the rented jack hammer not working. However, we charged through and are left with a bathroom ready to be remodeled. And then we waited…
Luckily we did not have to wait too long – two weeks after demo, the contractor arrived!
He pulled out the rotted subfloor and fixed the support beam.
I am SO relieved to have that beam fixed. It was so bad, our master bedroom (on the other side of this wall), had a fairly large hole into the crawl space.
I used to imagine little mice crawling in while I slept…
Day two was spent rebuilding the subfloor and waterproofing the shower. The contractor was so kind to bring in my bathtub. We were a little concerned about it fitting. Luckily it does, but it will be a tight fit.
More to come on our bathroom remodel!