Recently I’ve been admiring all the wall treatments I’ve been seeing on Pinterest, and I just knew the square version would be perfect in my dining room. I’m sharing the tutorial for our dining room wall treatment.
It’s so hard to visualize what it will actually look like in real life. So, I actually measured and drew out the squares on the wall.
I am SO glad I did this step because I actually decreased the square size and added two more rows. What looked perfect on paper was not so perfect in real life. Want to know more about this floral (“faux wallpaper“) wall we covered? You can see more HERE. Also, before I drew out my lines, I lightly sanded my flowers to keep them from showing through the paint later.
Now with the additional squares, I figured up the supplies I needed for my plans and picked up the supplies from Lowes. I used .688x 3in x 8ft Primed MDF Moulding for most of the wall. The top horizontal piece was wider than the rest of the pieces, and this was the same MDF listed above, except it was 5.5 inches wide. I wanted the wall treatment to be a dark gray so my white buffet would really pop. I went ahead and painted the back of the wall to make the painting a little easier later and to make visualizing the wall treatment even better. This made it more difficult for my husband to follow the lines, so I would skip this step next time.
Now is where my husband stepped in. He put the baseboard in first (he used trim nails for this and hit studs whenever possible).
Next, he put up the wider piece at the top.
Now it was time to put in the vertical pieces.
And then, it was time for the small horizontal pieces – lots of cutting, leveling, and fitting. If you aren’t using glue, many of the pieces (the ones that aren’t attached at studs) will be pretty loose. But because we use caulk next, don’t stress out too much!
I went through and used a nail setter to push the nails deeper so we could hide them with wood filler.
Then we filled the holes with wood filler.
We caulked along all the edges.
And then we let everything dry.
Once the filler was dry, it was time to sand. First, I tried hand sanding and realized this was a job for the electric sander.
It made a mess and took forever.
I really should have sanded more – there are imperfections I left from not sanding enough, but I’m going to live with these for now.
The paint is Valspar from Lowes. The wall is Woodlawn Colonial Gray and the paneling is Mark Twain House Ombra Gray.
I really love it and have to give my husband a HUGE shout out for an amazing job!
**UPDATE: We added some trim to the inside of each square (and new paint color). See more on that HERE.
Go create something!