Just because you’re renting doesn’t mean you can’t decorate! Check out these decorating tips for renters and you will feel at home in no time.
We visited my sister last week, and I’m so glad I brought my camera with me. Since they live a few hours away, I don’t see her house much. However, I always love what I see when I visit! Despite temporarily living in a rental, Heather makes the home theirs.
Inspired by all she has done, I came up with a list of five inexpensive decorating tips for renters – which actually apply to homeowners as well!
1. Decorate with plants. They are inexpensive, add life and color, and can easily be moved.
You can trim some plants and use the greenery in a vase for a pretty centerpiece. (And those candlesticks were plain white, but my sister added washi tape to make the stripes!) Also, Heather added concrete to her tabletop! To see more, click HERE.
2. Add window treatments. This is an easy way to make your rental seem homier. You can find inexpensive window treatments or make your own from bedsheets.
Heather painted the black bands on these window treatments using fabric paint.
And she added ribbon to make these shades a little more exciting.
3. Add lamps. Not only are they pretty, but lamps add extra light throughout your home – adding to the ambiance.
Heather added ribbon trim to most of her lampshades.
Wall lamps are a great solution for renters. They look permanents but are easily removed.
Don’t forget about your outside space – if you have one. My sister added garden lights and a free chandelier she updated with paint.
4. Hang temporary shelving. It’s a great way to display dishes, frames, and fun accent pieces.
I’m in love with these shelves.
5. Decorate with gallery walls. Hang pretty art, family photos, memorabilia – anything that makes the space yours.
These frames were found at the dollar store and the botanicals from a book.
Photos, memorabilia, and children’s drawings.
Think outside the traditional gallery wall. Hang a rope with tacks and display artwork.
Or use washi tape to hang a poster.
Thanks so much to Heather for allowing me to hijack her beautiful home!
Go create something!
Are you new to my blog? Go HERE to see my home tour and HERE to shop for items I use in our home.
5 thoughts on “Decorating Tips for Renters”
Love this! Very inspiring and kid friendly too.
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, Valisha!
Heather’s home is so great! I love her shelves too. Such an art form.
I’m in love with those shelves, too!